English Literature is a study of literary arts that use english language as their mean of communication
In Indonesia someone who study English Literature as their choice of study get a high expectation from society.
Especially in using English language for their daily life.
If one failed to meet this expectation he/she might get bullies from his/her surrounding.
However as wikipedia noted in their page that English Literature is only focused on work of arts that being used in english language…
… so I want to focus the topic of English Literature here as a program to study in Indonesia Universities.
I limited the focus so that You will not confused when you read the rest of my blog.
I also write this topic in Bahasa Indonesia.
Moreover I would like to share my experience in this topic because I am one of billions Indonesian students who happen to study this field of study in University in Indonesia.
This post not only being used as sharing my experience in this field of study but also to recall all the moments I had once with my friends.
I feel so excited about this because I miss the academic discussion and the thrill of analysing a work of art especially novels and short stories.
English Literature is one of the program offered by University of Padang where I studied.
This major is part of faculty of languange and arts (formerly named faculty of Languange, Literature and Arts or Fakultas Bahasa Sastra dan Seni).
What had I study at English Study in Indonesia?
I learned a lot about English writers and their works.
I read a lot of literary arts wrote by prominent writers such as Geoffry Chaucer, William Shakespare, Jane Austen, Mark Twain, Virginia Woolf, T. S. Elliot, Vladimir Nabokov, Toni Morison, Salman Rushdie.
History of English Literature
I learned about period of English Literature such as Old English Literature, Middle English Literature, English Renaisance, Neo Classical Period, 19th Century Literature, English Literature since 1901
Awards in Literature Category
Nobel Prize, William Faulkner, Putlizer and many more.
English Literature Thesis Topics
- Exploring Chaucer’s genre diversity within The Canterbury Tales.
- How nineteenth-century novels were received by the public and academics alike when they were first published and how our understanding of them has changed from a modern day perspective.
- An analysis of homosexuality in literature from its beginnings to the present day.
- The changing role of women in twentieth-century literature.
- Examples of novels that broke the mould in the early twentieth century and how they achieved this: from James Joyce to William Burroughs.
- Why is Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings so appealing to adults and children alike?
- Feminism’s growth in twentieth-century literature.
- Origins of the novel.
- The effect Milton’s Paradise Lost had on seventeenth-century literature.
- Imagining a world without Shakespeare: the importance of the bard.
- Hans Christian Anderson’s effect on how we perceive fairytales in the modern era.
- The impact Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein had on proceeding literature.
- The importance of philosophy within literature.
- Politics in fiction from 1900 to the present day.
- The accuracy of history in historical novels.
- Where would modern readers be without J.K. Rowling?